School governors are the largest volunteer workforce nationally with over 300,000 school governors in England.
The governing body carries out its functions with the aim of taking a largely strategic role in the running of the school. This includes:
- setting up a strategic framework for the school
- setting aims and objectives for the school
- agreeing policies and targets for achieving the objectives
- reviewing progress and reviewing the strategic framework in the light of progress
- ensuring accountability to stakeholders
The governing body acts as a “critical friend” to the head teacher by providing support and challenge. The head teacher is responsible for the day-to-day, management and control of the school and the implementation of the strategic framework established by the governing body. The governors and head teacher work together in partnership to raise standards in the school.
There are several types of governors; they are:
- Parent governors: parents and carers of pupils at the school are eligible to stand for governorship at the school. Parent governors are elected by other parents at the school. If insufficient parents stand for election, the governing body can appoint parent governors.
- Staff governors: both teaching and non-teaching staff are eligible for staff governorship. Staff governors are elected by the school staff and must be paid to work at the school – volunteers are not eligible. The head teacher is a member of the governing body by virtue of his/her office and counts as a member of the staff category.
- Authority governors: LA governors are appointed by the Local Authority. In Liverpool, the City Council is the appointing body.
- Foundation governors: foundation governors are appointed by the school’s founding body, usually diocese or trust. If the school has a religious character the foundation governors must preserve and develop this.
Our School Governors are:
|Name||Type of Governor|
Mr Justin McAuley
Mr Tony Ford
|Vice-Chair / Foundation|
|Mrs Michelle Ravey||Headteacher|
|Miss Sinead Walsh||Staff / Deputy Headteacher|
|Mr Kevin Quigley||Foundation|
|Mr Jimmy McNamee||Foundation|
|Ms Clare Winstanley||Parent|
|Ms Catherine Pinder||Parent|
If you would like to contact any of the governors please send in a sealed envelope for their attention and our office staff will pass this onto them.