Inclusive education is about the full participation and achievement of all learners. At Holy Spirit, children with special education needs are engaged and achieving through being present, participating and learning.
Our SEN co-ordinator is Miss Sinead Walsh
At Holy Spirit, we are committed to:
- To create an ethos and educational environment that is child centered and has the views and needs of the child at its heart along with their families/carers.
- To encourage a strong focus on high aspirations and on improving outcomes for children with SEND which will enable them to succeed in their education at Holy Spirit.
- To reflect the New Code of Practice (updated in 2015) in stating that teachers are responsible and accountable for the progress and development of the pupils in their class, including where pupils access support from teaching assistants or specialist staff. (p86, para 6.33). Every teacher is a teacher of every child, including those with special educational needs or disabilities.
- To fully adopt the graduated approach to ensure that all pupils with special educational needs and/or disabilities are identified early, assessed and catered for within the school with high expectations for the best possible progress.
- To work within a ‘person centered approach’ fostering and promoting effective collaboration with children, parents/carers and outside agencies.
- To encourage and engage the participation of children and parents in the decision making, planning and reviewing of outcomes with regard to their provision.
- To clearly identify the roles and responsibilities of school staff, the SENCo (Miss Sinead Walsh) and the SEND Governor (Mr Justin McAuley), in providing an appropriate education for pupils with special educational needs and/or disabilities.
- To be proactive in enabling full access for pupils with SEND to all manageable aspects of the school curriculum and wider school life activities, thus developing positive self-esteem with a long term goal of independence.
Miss Sinead Walsh is our Deputy Headteacher and SENCo at Holy Spirit Primary School.
If you wish to arrange a meeting with Miss Walsh please telephone the school office on 01744678670.
Alternatively, please click on the link below to read our SEND policy.
Click on this link to visit our Local Authority Local Offer.
Click on the link below to download a copy of our SEND information report